Banners advertising is one of the oldest ways to make money online. I’m sure all of you at some point have tried slapping up some banner ads on your sites to see if you can make money with them. But how do know which banners on your sites are getting clicks and which ones are leading to conversions? Well, by using an ad server like OpenX you can, and in this post I want to show you why you need to start using it for your banner advertising.
OpenX is a free ad server software that you can use to serve ads on your sites. There’s a self hosted version which you can install on your own web host, or you can sign up for the hosted OpenX version and have your ads hosted on their servers. I’ll talk about the self hosted version in this post as that the version I’m using.
Why Use OpenX?
- Manage all your banners across multiple sites.
- Get real-time statistics for all your banners.
- Change banners on the fly.
- Split test banner performance by rotating ads in each zone.
OpenX basically gives you a central place to manage all your banner advertising and it gives you the metrics you need to determine which are your best performing ads. While its interface can be a little complicated, especially when just starting out, OpenX is still a tool worth using and figuring out.
Getting Started With OpenX
- Download and install OpenX from HERE.
- Go to the Inventory tab.
- Create a new Advertiser (just add yourself).
- Create a New Campaign. Select Remnant campaign type and leave the rest defaults.
- Add a new Website.
- Add a new Zone for each banner placement you want to add to your site. For example I might have one zone for my sidebar ads and one zone for my top banner. Make sure to put the correct banner size that will match up with your banners.
- Add a new Banner. You can upload your banner directly into OpenX and just specify your destination url.
- Link your banner to a zone. Go back to the Zones screen and click on the Linked Banners link. Then select your Advertiser & Campaign to link your banners to that zone.
- Go back to the Zones screen, and click on Invocation Code. Choose IFrame tag from the dropdown and copy and paste the code the appropriate ‘Zone’ on your website.
- Check out your site and see if your banner shows up.
Once you become familiar with the interface, you’ll find it pretty simple to add new banners to your rotations. All your statistics can be found in the Statistics tab and you can quickly see the CTR of your banners over specific time periods. Now that you have a way to seeing which banners are getting clicks (and hopefully conversions), you can start the process of split testing banners and figuring out your best performing ads.
Can you see how powerful this is? Using OpenX, you can make more money online by showing your own banner ads, selling advertising space on your site to others, or even to help you do testing for potential Media buys. Very cool stuff, so I hope you guys try it out.
—>> OpenX.org (official site)